We recently received our first copies of Small World : Tunnels. For those of you who do not know, it’s an expansion to Small World’s that links the Small World base game and the Small World : Underworld stand-alone expansion together into one large board. It’s actually quite a good mini-expansion, and certainly something worth putting out. Once we got it in, we put it up for $5.00.
Then we were informed by a customer that Days of Wonder was letting customers know that they could pick up the Small World expansion for free from retailers. Contrary to what DOW is impressing on customers; getting these expansions is not free to retailers. We are allocated copies based on purchases with our distributor. Following is the relevant text we were sent.
Game retailers who purchase products from the Small World line during the 4th quarter can get their copies as follows:
– Purchase $100 in Small World products and get 5 free copies of Tunnels
– Purchase $200 in Small World products, get 10 free copies of Tunnels
– Purchase $500 in Small World products, get 20 free copies of Tunnels
– Purchase $1000 in Small World products, get 40 free copies of Tunnels
A few things to note:
- this is only available for retailers who purchase Small World line items in Q4
- quantities to retailers are extremely limited
- no consideration is provided for past purchases of Small World items throughout the year
Putting a quantity minimum to get these items isn’t free. It’s an incentive to buy more of their products and a transfer of holding cost, which is how we’re treating it. If DOW feels that’s unfair, I’m more than happy to distribute for free any expansions they send us.