Site Server Move & Errors

We were down for a day! As many of you might have noticed, the website was down and not working properly for most of the day yesterday. Unfortunately, this was due to a server move that was required to ensure that we were ready for some upcoming security updates that would be needed. While we did everything we needed to ensure that the site move would go smoothly, thing’s didn’t go well.

There are still some problems with the site. Certain images are missing for our products are missing. Certain functions on the backend are not working properly any longer. In addition, some customers who placed an order between Tuesday and Wednesday might find their orders missing in the backend and account as these orders were not imported properly. However, all products can be purchased and the site is working fine right now.

For those on our newsletter, we recommend checking it as we’ll be sending out a quick flash sale for those inconvenienced by the site going down.

Server Down! Server Down!

As many of you know, the site went down on Monday when the sale went live.  The load on the site tripled and a number of poorly coded portions started acting up.  For that, we do apologise to everyone, especially those who missed out on  games they wished to purchase because of the site going down.

We’ve now fixed numerous issues and have highlighted some of the other problems for fixing as well as introducing some new features to distribute the load.  It’s actually improved the overall site performance, even with the increased load we’re still seeing.

With that said, I’m going to get (mildly) technical about what happened.  If you are not interested in things like that, you should stop reading now.

Continue reading “Server Down! Server Down!”

Site Down : the Explanation

So.  The site went down over the weekend and through to most of Monday with intermittent times up.  For that we apologise to you; our customers.

It took us a while to figure out what was happening – at first it seemed like the site just wasn’t loading properly, so we had to get the hosting company to adjust the bandwidth and memory used for the site.

Later, we got a second error – too many open connections at the same time.  At that point, we upped the number of allowable connections – though we were beginning to truly wonder since our visitor logs were showing no change.

Then the hosting company decided to shut us down as we were just hogging up bandwidth and resources.  At this point, began a huge hunt through the log files (individual log files for each visitor) to figure out the cause.

It was Cuil.com.  No, they’re not getting a link.  More like a kick in the ass.  They were trying to index our site, which is cool and all.  But they were ignoring all normal Robots.txt (the file that tells the Robots what to do) instructions and basically conducting a DNOS attack on us.

Idiots.

Currently they’re entire IP range is banned from out site.

So. On our most profitable days (i.e. the beginning of the month) our site has gone down due to the inability of the ‘next Google’ to actually manage their robots.